Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOIN OUR DISCORD
SITE RATING
RPG Rating 2 1 2
Swearing and mature language is permitted, with some limits.
Mild sexual innuendo and references permitted.
Violence is allowed, with some limitations.
THE NRPG STAFF

BOSS MAN
COORDINATORS
BALANCE MODS
APPROVAL MODS
Kage

HOVER TO REVEAL KAGE

Bijuu

HOVER TO REVEAL OWNER

Important Links

Latest topics
Somewhere Out There Today at 3:39 pmAkki SenjuMeeting the BladeToday at 1:13 pmKakushin SenjuTraining, or making friendsToday at 12:49 pmKakushin SenjuThe Dark Side ArisesToday at 12:27 pmRanagi JomajoDaiki getting in Moon!Today at 11:48 amSakoshi KurosawaSubstitute TeacherToday at 6:55 amAyato HyuugaKintsugi is hereToday at 5:39 amHanzo UchihaA new man Today at 5:37 amHanzo UchihaThe first few steps in Today at 5:36 amHanzo UchihaThe wolf and the lambToday at 5:34 amHanzo Uchiha
Top posting users this month
158 Posts - 22%
139 Posts - 19%
86 Posts - 12%
70 Posts - 10%
57 Posts - 8%
52 Posts - 7%
51 Posts - 7%
45 Posts - 6%
38 Posts - 5%
34 Posts - 5%
Copyright©
Naruto, Naruto Shippuden © Masashi Kishimoto
Naruto RPG
Naruto Role Play Game
(Forum RPG) ©
Staff and Members.

Naruto and Shippuden remain the intellectual property of Masashi Kishimoto and are not affiliated with this site. Content crafted here is the sole creation of its contributors, staff, and members. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution, or use of this content is strictly prohibited. NRPG does not claim ownership of any images utilized on the platform; all images belong to their original owners.
Protected by Copyscape
Go down
Yasahiro Yagami
Yasahiro Yagami
Citizen
Stat Page : Link
Remove Bukijutsu Fūinjutsu Remove Jikūjutsu Default
Remove Remove Remove Remove Remove Default
Village : Otogakure
Ryo : 27500

Akaoka-by-the-Sea Empty Akaoka-by-the-Sea

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:15 am
Missions Specs:

Missions Specs:

Missions Specs:

Missions Specs:

Dusk descended on one of the smaller traveler towns in the Land of Rice like a thin veil bringing with it an ethereal fog that rose from the myriad of rice paddies and clung to the ground. Such towns were built long ago with the intention of serving as trading posts for goods going across the world and through the country's deepwater ports. Unfortunately, the reality was that very little trade passed through The Land of Rice; instead, the small towns that dotted the countryside became kitschy tourist traps that catered to the small number of visitors that passed through each year. Frankly, these establishments lived something of a sad existence as a monument to what could have been.

Fog swirling about him with each stride, a black-clad Yasahiro made his way into one of the north most traveler towns about a mile down the coast from the inn he was staying out. Asahi had yet to arrive at the inn and one could only gaze out at the sea alone for so long, so the samurai decided—thanks to a generous recommendation by Hinotara, the innkeeper—to avail himself of the closest traveler town, Akaoka, and its modest nightlife. In particular, Hinotara had talked up Akaoka's gambling scene which, while far from his favorite pastime, the exile enjoyed a game or two every now and again to remind him of simpler times. Plus, it was nice to stretch his legs after spending the past couple of days cooped up in the inn reading books and doing nothing productive.

Welcome to Akaoka
~~
Stay a While

The rickety sign looked about to fall from its hinges and appeared to have once been painted, but the salt air had long since peeled much of its vibrance away. Much like the sign, the whole town, which amounted to a small cluster of maybe twenty buildings ringed by a border wall, seemed to be weather-worn as if nature itself had chewed the whole place up only to spit it back out finding the taste unpalatable—Yasahiro could only imagine the storms the town had seen in its history. Time had certainly not been kind, but it did have a certain charm to it that, walking through the unguarded gates, the samurai could appreciate.

Despite its rundown appearance, the town felt alive; each window glowed warmly and the sound of muted music filled the air. Strangely, however, there were not many people out and about. In fact, there was only a single figure making their way through the streets. They appeared to be in a hurry as they moved at a frantic pace, they were running from something or, at least they were, until they tripped and fell as they were passing Yasahiro.

"Excuse me," the exile offered the man a hand up. "Are you alright?"

"Alright?" the man huffed taking the hand Yasahiro offered. "Not in the slightest. Listen, in about a minute a couple of men will be out here looking for me, and you didn't see anything, right?"

Punacting his question by shoving a stack of ryo into the samurai's hand, the man looked up into his eyes before dashing off into the darkness in the direction Yasahiro had just come from. The eldest son of the Yagami family didn't even have time to reply, but promptly shoved the money into his pocket as a group of three individuals burst from a nearby building.

"You there," a slight woman wearing an eyepatch spat. "A man ran out here, which way did he go?"

Without a word, the samurai pointed in the opposite direction the man had gone in. Judging by the large bats all three individuals were wielding he could only assume that the man from before had not been the most upstanding citizen. Luckily for the man from before, ryo went a long way; the trio darted in the opposite direction bickering as they went, what a strange town.

Entering the same building the trio had just recently exited, the samurai was greeted by the smell of cigar smoke and cheap whiskey; this was a gambling den if he'd ever seen one. Beyond the lights that hung over each table, the room was dark leaving plenty of shadowed corners and blind spots. On the far side of the main room, there was a bar staffed by a gloomy-looking man with drooping jowls and a pair of crooked glasses. Somewhere on the second floor, the sound of a player piano clacked out a slow, mellow tune that hung around the establishment as thickly as the aforementioned smoke that floated around the room in thick spools.

It was perfect.

Taking an empty seat at the closest table, the samurai put the ryo the strange man had given him before on the table. His three new companions—one robust woman, a man with slicked-back hair, and a rather diminutive old man—all had chips of their own, but seeing as none of them objected to the idea of the newcomer using ryo; it would seem that ryo played here. The game, as it turned out, was poker; a game the samurai had, thankfully, played before with his younger cousin and he doubted anyone here was nearly quite as good as Asahi.

The next couple of hours played out much how Yasahiro expected: he won some hands, lost others, and ultimately made a modest sum of money. Cheating never once crossed the man's mind, though he did suspect that the rather robust woman—whose name he learned was Lily—might have been. She always seemed to pull the right cards at just the right time; the whole thing was uncanny, who pulled straights three hands in a row anyhow? Fortunately, she seemed to grow timider and timider as the game went on, which allowed the samurai to make up much of the ground he lost in the beginning when he was getting a feel for the table.

"Well, I suppose we should call it there," Earl, the diminutive old man, said after the last hand had been played. "Lily, Sen, and I need to be up early for old man Sentaro's funeral tomorrow."

He tossed a few chips to the dealer, Michiko.

"Michiko, it's been a pleasure; you too, Mr. Yagami," he bowed before leaving with the rest of the tablemates.

Taking this as his cue to knock off for the night as well, the samurai sidled up to the bar to drink the night away. Taking a seat at the dimly lit bar, he gazed up at the seemingly endless array of bottles filled with liquids of every color—one bottle even had what looked like a rabbit's foot in it, odd. Then again, the more Yasahiro reflected on it, the more normal it seemed; Akaoka was a bit eclectic so it fit to have an eclectic selection of drinks.

"What can I do ya for, son?" the jowly barkeep asked as he wiped down the far end of the bar.

"I'm looking to forget," the samurai grinned. "What do you recommend?"

"Well," the barkeep furrowed his brow. "If you're looking to forget you'll want a bottle of our house Umeshu, we make it right out back."

Without skipping a beat the barkeep pulled out a large bottle and slid it along the bartop. Catching the bottle before it slid past him, Yasahiro slapped down the requisite ryo and began pouring.

"Oh, also," the barkeep ran his fingers through his thinning hair. "Before you lose yourself there, could I interest you in a job? I'd waive the cost of the bottle and throw in a little extra. Forgive me if it's a bit forward but..."

The man paused and looked his sole patron up and down.

"...You look like the type that might be interested in work. Either way, I don't know if you heard, but our headman passed away recently and we'll need some help burying the body. It won't be anything too bad; you'll just have to move dirt from one place to another, what do you say?"

Contemplating the bottle before him, Yasahiro sighed. Could he really turn down free drinks and a job?

"Yeah, sure, I can help out."

"Great, we'll need you just after sunrise by the sea."

Yasahiro nodded and resumed his drinking session. The barkeep had been right; the Umeshu wasn't half bad. Perhaps he should pick up another bottle for Asahi? His younger cousin was a sucker for good alcohol—it would make for a pleasant reunion gift.

- - - One hour later - - -

"I need to step out for a second, friend," the barkeep said, giving Yasahiro a nod. "Hold down the fort for me."

The now thoroughly inebriated samurai gave a weak thumbs up and slammed another glass of Umeshu. Unfortunately, no sooner had the barkeep left than a newcomer with a roadworn jacket took a seat a few chairs down from Yasahiro.

"Hey, you," the woman intoned. "I saw you chatting with the barkeep a while back; heard he gave you a job helping out with the funeral, that true?"

The exile nodded weakly.

"Great, well, I have a proposition for you," the newcomer grinned. "The headman of this town was a rather wealthy man and I'm willing to bet a bit of that wealth will be going into the ground with him, what do you say you and I capitalize on that?"

"I'm not quite sure I get what you mean."

"Just a little snatch and grab, what will a dead man be doing with a bunch of jewelry anyhow? It's easy money, what do you say?"

"Hmm," the samurai was not so far gone that he lacked morals. "I'll think on it and get back to you tomorrow; we can meet back here early in the morning."

"Agreed," the woman then slipped away from the bar and out of the building.

The barkeep soon returned and Yasahiro took the time to explain the proposition the strange woman had offered him. The jowly man was clearly perturbed by the event, but thank the samurai for letting him know. The pair agreed that when the woman came back to rendevous with Yasahiro that the local constable would be there to arrest them. The samurai had no respect for those who meddled in the affairs of the dead. Thankfully, such sentiments were shared with the barkeep who allowed him to stay the night on a cot in the back room—the exile was in no shape to be stumbling around in the dark back to his inn.

In the morning, the constable, Yasahiro, and the barkeep confronted the would-be grave robber without a hitch and the day progressed as expected from there out. The samurai helped to bury the headman, he shared a drink in the deceased honor, collected his fee, and went on his way. For what he had expected to be a short trip to Akaoka served as a nice slice of life and a break from the monotony of lounging around doing nothing. One could only, contrary to the countless assertions of his younger cousin, do so much lounging before one got bored of it all. He would have to get out more and see more of the country.

The Land of Rice was growing on him bit by bit; the more he interacted with the people who inhabited it the more he appreciated the hardships they faced. Each person he met overcame their hardships in their own way, and that was what intrigued the samurai so much. Such a small out of the way country played host to a rich community of people trying their best to make do with the bad hand they had been dealt. It was inspiring to behold and bewitching to experience. And, in all honesty, it made the exile want to try harder, to do something that mattered, and make the most of the life he now lived.

Yes, heeding the advice from the town of Akaoka, he would certainly be staying for a while.
- - -
TWC: 2007
+ 2400 ryo (2000 total mission ryo | 400 [4 E-rank missions*100] for rank-based mission ryo)
+ 44 ap (4 ap from missions | 40 ap from training)
+ 1634 words towards A-Rank Blood Tastes Like Iron
+ 373 words towards D-Rank Jab
Satoru Jugo
Satoru Jugo
Hyogakage
Hyogakage
Survived 2021
You've completed the Christmas Event of 2021 and qualified for the last reward, by partisan you are awarded this fancy badge!
Stat Page : Link
Remove Remove Fūinjutsu Ninjutsu Remove Jikūjutsu Default
Remove Remove Remove Remove Remove Default
Clan Specialty : Ninjutsu
Village : Kumogakure
Ryo : 0

Akaoka-by-the-Sea Empty Re: Akaoka-by-the-Sea

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:23 am
Approved.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum